Definition and quantification of the threat from explosion/blast, and from firebomb attacks.
Preliminary assessment of current vehicle performance under these threats
Risk analysis to identify the areas of highest impact for “designing-out” attacks
Definition of desired performance in event of these attacks
- Understanding attacks
- Survey of previous blast attacks on metro systems.
- Survey of previous firebomb attacks on metro systems.
- Future threats
- Risk analysis
- Develop a risk analysis methodology
- Gather data on normal operating risks and cost / consequence estimates for these risks
- Definition of standard attack cases for further modelling
- Definition of the surrounding infrastructure and location within the system.
- Definition of the crowding and passenger behaviour within the vehicle and on surrounding platforms for each attack type to be modelled.
- Definition of the existing/unmodified vehicles to be considered.
- Definition of the blast and fire location, magnitude, materials used, and characteristics of the attacks
- Defining the required vehicle performance in attack situations
- To avoid panic and take charge of the emergency situation, assist evacuation and rescue
- To minimise damage to surrounding vehicles and infrastructure
- To minimise danger to passengers on adjacent platforms
- To assist forensic investigation
- To minimise blast/shockwave injury, burns or injury from fragmentation of glass and other materials